Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day of Surgery

Well what a long day this has been for everyone. We were up at 4:00 AM to get ready for surgery today. Mom had to take a shower with that "special" soap before the operation. We got to the hospital at 5:30 and mom was getting prepped for surgery by 5:45. Uncle Ralph and I didn't see her again. They actually started surgery at 8:15 and were done with the first surgery in 2 1/2 hours. This surgery consisted of going thru the left side and placing the cages between the vertebrae. The next surgery was the fusion, which is done thru the back with a large incision. That surgery took 4 1/2 hours and that is were the neuro surgeon participated. Hopefully space is now open for the nerves so they are not compressed and unhappy. Mom was in recovery from 3:30 until 9:30...needless to say I was getting a little impatient! They did have to give mom 1 unit of blood and they were watching her closely, so I am very grateful but I did want to see her for myself. Mom is settled in her room, which is in s step down unit with extra care given to these patients. Surgery want as expected, so that is good news. I am sure that she is going to be in a lot of pain but I feel positive that things will be so much better for her in the future. Thank you for all your prayers and well wishes...keep praying for Mom!! My 18 hour day is now over...until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment